Experienced and highly organized publishing professional with more than 20 years in the industry specializing in copyright, permissions and subsidiary rights. Expert in inbound permissions and rights clearances, outbound rights management and special sales. Polished presenter of sales presentations and creator of customized training for those interested in learning more about copyright and permissions.
Founder and President, Gryphon Publishing Consulting, LLC July 2014 – Present
- Skilled negotiator capable of obtaining required rights and appropriate terms for new contracts or licenses
- Effective analysis of existing rights policies and tailoring of effective subsidiary rights programs
- Well-spoken lecturer educating on copyright and permission basics
- Seasoned professional providing publishers increased profitability with inbound permissions management and subsidiary rights licensing domestically and abroad
Lecturer, Masters in Publishing Program, The George Washington University – College of Professional Studies Jan 2016 – Present
- Lecturer and Teaching Assistant for the course “Copyright Law in Print and Cyberspace” led by Eric Slater, J.D.
Adjunct Professor, Masters in Publishing Program, The George Washington University – College of Professional Studies January 2007 – May 2018
- Instructor for course titled Editorial Content, Rights & Permissions (2 sections: live and online)
- Lecturer and Teaching Assistant for course titled “Copyright Law in Print and Cyberspace”
Director, Subsidiary Rights, National Geographic Society January 2000 – June 2014
- Responsible for all aspects of English-language worldwide permissions, licensing, and select special sales accounts for National Geographic Books for both adult and children’s imprints
- Grew department by consistently beating yearly targets; in 2013 alone, achieved 150% of targeted budget
- Personally generated more than $4 million in subsidiary rights income for National Geographic Books
Manager, International Sales at Rowman & Littlefield Publishing Group June 1995 – December 1999
- Responsible for all aspects of sales of English-language titles throughout the UK, Australia, and the open market
- Duties included direct response marketing, production of customized of sales materials, presentations to UK sales force, and management of warehouse levels worldwide
Professional Memberships and Associations
American Association of Publishers Rights and Permissions Advisory Committee (AAP-RPAC); Washington Book Publishers; American Association of Picture Professionals (ASPP); Society of Children’s Books Writers and Illustrators (SCBWI); Independent Book Publishers Association (IBPA); National Association of Independent Writers and Editors (NAIWE); Board Member, The Big Easy in Buffalo; Advocacy Committee Member, IBPA.
Canisius College, BA English
Sucessful BA candidate at esteemed Jesuit institution. Achieved 3.5 GPA and graduated Cum Laude.